Firework-related injuries can range from burns to complete loss of the hand and fingers. While the best choice is to attend public fireworks displays rather than setting off fireworks near or around the home, take the following precautions when around fireworks:
- Obey safety barriers around a fireworks show and stay 500 feet from the launch site.
- Supervise teens when using fireworks.
- Wear eye protection when using fireworks.
- Read the labels and instructions before using fireworks at home.
- Remain standing when using sparklers.
- Soak used fireworks in water before throwing in a trash bag.
- Do not use fireworks indoors.
- Do not try to relight a “dud” firework.
- Do not touch fireworks debris. It may still be hot.
Stay safe during this July 4 holiday! Learn more about fireworks safety at www.handcare.org.