Young Leaders Program
Applications for the 2016 Young Leaders Program are now closed. Applications for the 2017 program will be available in the summer.
The ASSH Young Leaders Program gives enthusiastic and dedicated young members the chance to increase their involvement in the Hand Society. This leadership development program is for Candidate (dues paying and post-fellowship) or Active members of less than eight years.
Members selected for this program will first participate in an active, ongoing discussion to identify key issues within the upper extremity profession. They will present their research and findings to Council during the winter meeting. The Young Leaders will also attend a training session on medical society governance. The program requires a commitment to participate in future ASSH governance activities by lending support to a committee or task force at the close of the meeting. It is an excellent opportunity for young members to observe and learn about our society's leadership.
How to Apply
Before applying, please ensure that you are:
- Either an ASSH Candidate Member (dues paying and post-fellowship) OR an ASSH Active Member (fewer than 8 years of membership).
- Able to attend the ASSH Council meeting and Young Leaders Workshop on December 8-10, 2016 in Chicago.
- Willing to take responsibility for airfare and transportation costs during the Workshop (meals, lodging, and all other meeting expense are paid for by ASSH).
- Willing to serve on ASSH committees or task forces as assigned.
- Complete your online application.
- Submit a 4-page CV.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your Hand Fellowship Director and/or an ASSH member who has served as your mentor (no more than 2 letters will be accepted).
The Young Leaders Program typically begins in September with initial topic discussions. Chosen participants attend a webinar in November and are required to attend the training session and Chicago Council meeting in December. *Airfare and ground transportation costs are the responsibility of the Young Leaders. ASSH will provide housing, meals, and any other meeting expenses.
Every fourth year, the ASSH Young Leaders Program will be combined with the ASSH Mid-Career Leaders Program, an identical program for more seasoned ASSH members (8 years of membership or more). The next combined program will take place in 2017. For more information, visit the Mid-Career Leaders webpage.
Contact ASSH Governance Coordinator Haley Licata at firstname.lastname@example.org.