Established in 2014 and jointly sponsored by:
The AFSH, in partnership with ACS, is offering the Research Career Development Award to support mentored development and research training. This award will recognize a hand surgeon who has demonstrated a commitment to a career in research and has been awarded a K08 or K23 by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for funding to begin no earlier than January 1, 2014.
The total amount of the award is up to $80,000 per year for up to five years subject to annual review. This award is meant to supplement the amount awarded by the NIH and is not intended to cover indirect costs or institutional overhead. The award recipient will be required to provide written progress reports summarizing his or her efforts at the end of each twelve-month period on the anniversary date of the start of the funding.
In order to qualify for the award, applicant must:
- Maintain Associate Fellow or Fellow Membership in the ACS.
- Maintain Candidate or Active Membership in the ASSH.
- Demonstrate commitment to a career in research.
- Have been awarded a K08 or K23 by the NIH for funding to begin no earlier than January 1, 2014. Award is subject to the policies and requirements of the NIH K08/K23.
- Agree to provide a narrative report review at the conclusion of each year he or she has received the award.
Applications must include
- Personal contact information.
- NIH biosketch of applicant. See sample.
- Two letters of reference, attesting to applicant’s commitment and abilities.
- Copy of NIH Award Notice and Application.
- Applicant’s photograph, suitable for publication (to be used if selected as award recipient).
- The ASSH Research Division will administer the award. Only (1) qualified applicant will be awarded during the term.
- The Selection Committee will consist of reviewers representing both the ACS and the ASSH. The ASSH and ACS reserve the right to not grant the award if the selection committee decides that none of the applications are sufficiently meritorious to be funded.
- Award recipient will receive an initial grant in the amount of $80,000 to be used solely to fund the program described in his or her application.
- Recipient shall have the opportunity to apply for a renewal of their award each year for up to a total of 5 consecutive years (including the first year).
- Renewal decision will be at the sole discretion of the Selection Committee and will be based on the annual review of the recipient’s work.
- All award recipients will be required, as a condition of receiving the award, to sign a grant agreement, setting forth the recipient’s obligations and responsibilities with respect to the award, the use of award funds and the recipient’s reporting obligations.
Please submit all questions about the joint research award to the American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand at email@example.com or call us at (312) 880-1900.
ATTN: Research Division
American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand
822 W. Washington Blvd. Fl 2
Chicago, IL 60607
Fax: (847) 384-1435
Phone: (312) 880-1900
For questions about ACS Membership, please contact the ACS directly at (312) 202-5000 or visit https://www.facs.org/contact.