September 15-17 2016
The Clinician Scholar Career Development Program (CSCDP) is a joint project of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF) and the Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS). CSCDP seeks applicants in years PGY2 to PGY5 of orthopaedic residency fellows and junior faculty through year 3 who have the potential and desire to become orthopaedic clinician scholars (scientists and investigators). Up to 15 applicants will be selected to participate in the 1.5-day training workshop with up to 10 additional participants sponsored by orthopaedic specialty societies. The 2016 AAOS/OREF/ORS CSCDP will take place September 15-172016 in Rosemont IL. Completed applications along with curriculum vitae and a letter of support must be submitted by 11:59 PM CST on March 31 2016. For more information and to download the application please visit www.aaos.org/cscdp
CSCDP topics include the following:
• Overview of the Clinician Scientist (Scholar) Timeline
• Peer Review Process
• Grant Writing 101
• Navigating the National Institutes of Health
• Resources of the NIH Intramural Research Program
• Collaborating with Scientists
• Career Training for Basic Scientists
• Career Training for Clinical Scientists
• Establishing a Mentor
• New Initiatives and Alternate Approaches
• The Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) in the Development of the Clinician Scientist
• The Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF) in the Development of the Clinician Scientist
• OREF from an MD Perspective
• Role of the Department of Defense (DoD)/Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
• The Surgeon Scientist: A Chairman's Perspective
• A Personal Perspective: Balancing it All
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 847-384-4319.
The ASSH will sponsor one participant for this year's program. Review the application instructions below for more details on ASSH sponsorship. The CSDP provides participants with an orientation to the research environment including research history funding sources and orthopaedic research organizations. The workshop also provides the opportunity to meet and interact with research professors and establish a mentor relationship with selected faculty.
How to Apply
To be considered as the ASSH-sponsored participant please follow these instructions:
- Apply through the AAOS by visiting the CSCDP webpage.
- Check the "hand" box on the application form.
- Apply by March 1 2016. This is before the AAOS deadline to allow the ASSH time to review all ""hand"" applications.
The ASSH-sponsored participant will be informed no later than June 1 2016. For questions regarding ASSH sponsorship contact email@example.com.
Past CSDP Sponsorship Recipients
2015 - Gaurav Luther MD
2014 - Peter Rhee MD
2013 - John Fowler MD
2012 - Eric Wagner MD
2011 - Christopher Dy MD
2010 - Nina Lightdale MD
2009 - Rowena McBeath MD