The 2016 ASSH Active Membership Application submission deadline was February 1, 2016. 2017 ASSH Active Membership applications will be available in August of 2016.
Before applying, please ensure that you read and understand the ASSH Code of Ethics.
Detailed Instructions for the 2016 ASSH Active Membership application
- Complete ALL sections of the application form. No part of the application form may be left blank. Any activities and/or contributions must be added to the application form. Do not attach your curriculum vitae.
- Submit your one-time Active Membership application fee of $400. A one-time first year membership fee of $700 will be billed upon the candidate's acceptance for Active Membership in the ASSH. New members will be billed $750 for next year’s annual dues at the end of the year of acceptance.
- Submit sponsorship letters from your hand fellowship director and two ASSH Active members, elected in 2012 or earlier. Letters of recommendation from other members of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (particularly chiefs of service, training program directors, persons familiar with the applicant's practice or contributions to hand surgery, and other qualified individuals) are not required but do serve to strengthen the application.
- Include a copy of your CAQ certificate (letter from the Board stating that you have passed the CAQ is acceptable if you do not have your certificate at the time of application), your Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada certificate (applicants with Royal College certification must also submit proof of having completed twelve (12) months of satisfactory post-residency fellowship in surgery of the hand), OR other international certification.
- Submit a case list of hand and upper extremity cases performed during a consecutive 12-month period. See Case List Submission Instructions listed on page 6 of the application. The ASSH reserves the right to request additional case list information in order to complete the review of any applicant.
1. Electronically: Must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org in Word or PDF format. You may fax your documents if they are legible to (847) 384-1435 Attn: Mary McCarthy.
2. Paper submissions: All paper submissions should be mailed originals. Please send to:
American Society for Surgery of the Hand
822 West Washington Boulevard, 2nd Floor, Chicago, IL 60607
3. Limitations: Any applicant for active membership who does not qualify for membership, and whose application is denied, may only reapply one additional time unless an exception is granted by Council. For any subsequent application submitted, the applicant must disclose all information regarding his/her prior application(s).
INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING SPONSOR LETTERS
Sponsorship letters can be submitted via email, fax, or mail (instructions above) and must follow the following criteria: Sponsor must be ASSH Active members joined 2012 or earlier.
- Include the following information:
- Length of time sponsor has known the applicant
- Knowledge of the applicant's present practice
- Statement of unequivocal support on behalf of the applicant
- Must be submitted on sponsor's letterhead.
- Must be signed by sponsor.
NOTE: In order for an applicant to be considered for 2016 ASSH Active membership, all application materials, including completed application, sponsorship letters, paid application fee, etc. must arrive at the ASSH Central Office by close of business on February 1, 2016. Applicants will be notified of their status in writing at least one month prior to the 2016 Annual Meeting.
*Your application and any other information obtained in connection with your application becomes the property of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand upon receipt and will not be returned to the applicant during or at the conclusion of the application process.
With questions, please contact ASSH Membership Manager Mary McCarthy at email@example.com or (312) 880-1934.