September 21-23, 2017
Application open January 1 - March 31, 2017
The ASSH will sponsor one "hand" participant by covering the sponsorship fee of $1,500. Fee covers two hotel nights, airfare, program materials and some meals.
The Clinician Scholar Career Development Program (CSCDP
) is a joint project of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS
) the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF
) and the Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS
seeks applicants in years PGY2
of orthopaedic residency fellows and junior faculty through year 3 who have the potential and desire to become orthopaedic clinician scholars (scientists and investigators). Up to 15 applicants will be selected to participate in the 1.5-day training workshop with up to 10 additional participants sponsored by orthopaedic specialty societies. The 2017 AAOS/OREF/ORS CSCDP
will take place over September 21-23, 2017 in Rosemont, IL
. Completed applications along with curriculum vitae and a letter of support may be submitted between January 1 - March 31, 2017. For more information and to download the application please visit www.aaos.org/cscdp
topics include the following:
- Overview of the Clinician Scientist (Scholar) Timeline
- Peer Review Process
- Grant Writing 101
- Navigating the National Institutes of Health
- Resources of the NIH Intramural Research Program
- Collaborating with Scientists
- Career Training for Basic Scientists
- Career Training for Clinical Scientists
- Establishing a Mentor
- New Initiatives and Alternate Approaches
- The Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) in the Development of the Clinician Scientist
- The Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF) in the Development of the Clinician Scientist
- OREF from an MD Perspective
- Role of the Department of Defense (DoD)/Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- The Surgeon Scientist: A Chairman's Perspective
- A Personal Perspective: Balancing it All
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-384-4319.
How to Apply
To be considered as the ASSH-sponsored participant please follow these instructions:
- Apply through the AAOS by visiting the CSCDP webpage.
- Check the "hand" box on the application form.
- Apply by March 31, 2017.
For questions regarding ASSH sponsorship contact email@example.com.
Past CSDP Sponsorship Recipients
2016 - No recipient selected
2015 - Gaurav Luther MD
2014 - Peter Rhee MD
2013 - John Fowler MD
2012 - Eric Wagner MD
2011 - Christopher Dy MD
2010 - Nina Lightdale MD
2009 - Rowena McBeath MD