My eBook links do not consistently work and/or some figures are blank. What should I do?
Once you’ve purchased an ASSH eBook from the ASSH online store, an email will be automatically generated and sent to the primary email address that you have listed on your ASSH record. That email will contain instructions to download your eBook.
ASSH eBooks use Adobe DRM, so you will need an Adobe ID
to access your books and sync them to multiple devices. Adobe eBooks work the best with Adobe Digital Editions
on computers and Bluefire Reader apps on mobile devices.
- First follow the steps (listed below or in the email that you received upon purchase) to download the book to your desktop (download Adobe Digital Editions on your computer (which may also require you to download Adobe Flash, authorize the software with your Adobe user ID, then click the link in your email, and the book will automatically load.)
- Go to the app store on your Android device and download the free Bluefire Reader app. Once the app has downloaded, open it, tap "Info," and enter your Adobe User ID to authorize your app.
- Go to your Library in Adobe Digital Editions, click the arrow on your book, and select "Item Info" from the drop down. You’ll see its file path, showing where all Adobe authorized files are stored on your computer. Use that information to find the file on your computer, which will appear as an .acsm file, and copy it to the Bluefire import folder on your SD card.
- Use a file manager application on your device to locate the file on your SD card. Tap on your eBook file to open it in Bluefire Reader.
How do I download the book to my desktop?
- Download Adobe Digital Editions (free, and this may also require the downloading of Adobe Flash) and create an Adobe ID (username/password). Free Adobe IDs are required for ASSH eBooks, and they allow the seamless sharing of your eBooks on any Adobe compatible e-reader device or app.
- In Adobe Digital Editions, go to Library > Authorize Computer, and enter your Adobe ID username and password.
- Click on the link at the bottom of the email you received to download your eBook. The eBook will automatically load into Adobe Digital Editions. (If you use Adobe Digital Editions without authorizing the software with your Adobe ID, you will not be able to transfer the eBook to another device/app later. Please authorize Adobe Digital Editions before downloading your eBook.)
How do I download the book to my iOS device?
- ASSH eBooks are tied to your Adobe User ID. If you do not already have an Adobe ID, create one before downloading the book.
- Go to the app store on your device and download the free Bluefire Reader app. Once the app has downloaded, open it, tap "Info," and enter your Adobe User ID to authorize your app.
- Next, click the link at the bottom of the email that you receive. For iOS devices, this will open a Safari window and give you the option to open your file in Bluefire Reader.
How do I download the book to another e-reader device, like a Nook?
First follow the directions above to download the book to your desktop. Connect the supported e-reader device to your computer and launch Digital Editions. Digital Editions should automatically detect your device and offer to authorize it with your Adobe ID. (If you have not authorized Digital Editions with your computer, you will need to complete that first by opening Adobe Digital Editions
, go to Library > Authorize Computer, and enter your Adobe ID username and password). Both Digital Editions and the device must be authorized to be able to transfer ASSH eBooks to and from the device.
After authorization, the device appears as a new bookshelf in your library. You can transfer items to and from the device's bookshelf just as you do with other bookshelves in your library. You can read books that are on your device or your own computer.
- If you have not already transferred your old apps to your new device, go to the app store on your new device and re-download the free Bluefire Reader app. Once the app has downloaded, open it, tap "Info," and enter your Adobe User ID to authorize your app. If it has been a long time since you last used your Adobe User ID, you may need to log-in from a computer and change your password.
- Locate the original email you received to download your eBook. If you no longer have the original email in your inbox, please call the ASSH Central Office at (312)880-1900, or email email@example.com to have the email re-sent to your account.
- Next, click the link at the bottom of the email that you received. For iOS devices, this will open a Safari window and give you the option to open your file in Bluefire Reader. For Android devices, follow the instructions listed above.
Why can’t I find ASSH eBooks in other online book stores?
ASSH has chosen not to sell our books with other online retailers, and instead, we sell only from our own site. We’ve chosen to do this for several reasons, but mainly because online eBook retailers generally charge a royalty in the ballpark of 30%, and given our limited audience and the high cost of producing quality publications, we’d rather pass a modest savings along to our customers than to increase prices or give up the small profits that are essential to ASSH programming. We hope you understand, and we thank you for your support.
Currently, no. Amazon/Kindle requires .mobi files that must be sold through Amazon to be protected. Amazon also currently blocks other e-reading apps from their Kindle Fire app store. If Amazon ever reverses this decision and makes those apps available, it would then be possible to read ASSH books on the Kindle Fire. (If you’ve found a work-around for getting .acrm files on to a Kindle, please let us know! We’d love to be able to share it with our members and customers.)
Yes – you can read ASSH eBooks on any Adobe supported device or application, BUT – most e-readers are designed to support the content that it sells or promotes rather than support outside content. This means that you will likely need to “side-load” the content in order to read it on other applications. For example, you can get ASSH eBooks on the Txtr app by downloading Txtr to your computer and your device, registering both with your Adobe ID, uploading the file from your computer to the application on your computer and syncing your computer application with the application on your device. Some functionality will be lost because Txtr does not support the image links and reference links in ASSH eBooks.
Similar processes can be used to read our eBooks on other applications (see full list of Adobe supported devices and apps
), but because there are so many options available, all with different requirements and limitations, we recommend that you use Bluefire Reader because it will load our books easily and it has compatible functionality so you get the most from the content.
If you use a different application that works well with our books, let us know! We’d love to be able to share that information with our members and customers.
Your eBook may still be loading. These are large files, so please make sure you’ve given the file enough time to fully load onto your device. Sometimes it will take a moment for a command (like tapping a link to a chapter or reference) to register. We have found that the longer you are in the document, the quicker the navigation responds. All of our files have been tested, so you should have full functionality within Bluefire.
If your display is appearing strangely (chapter numbers are squished, etc.), go to the settings in Bluefire and adjust the screen size and text size until you’re happy with the page’s appearance. Due to the variances of different devices and personal preferences, there is no optimal setting for our books, but you should be able to adjust the settings to meet your needs.
Your eBook is not missing any pages. If you notice a low page count, as in the 2013 edition of Global Service Data, it is because your e-reader has automatically assigned page numbers to a range of content that does match the page breaks that we created for each billing code. This allows you to see a single code on each page rather than scrolling down to multiple codes on a single page. If there is a specific code that you would like to access immediately, you can either search for it or create a book mark. Searches and book marks will bring you directly to the area of a "page" that you have specified.
Verify that you have the most current version of Bluefire Reader or Adobe Digital Editions. Your app store will tell you if you need to download an update for Bluefire Reader. To check what version of Adobe Digital Editions you are currently running: open Adobe Digital Editions, click on Help at the top left, then click on About This Version (or similar). The most current Adobe Digital Editions is 2.0. If you do not yet have version 2.0, then (1) go to the Adobe Digital Editions website
, (2) Sign In at the top right, and (3) click Download Now in the box on the right and follow the instructions. The installer you download will recognize that you have a previous version of the program and will give you the opportunity to move all of your eBooks to the new version. If you continue to have problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a question that we have not addressed, please email Tara Havenga at email@example.com
. We will continue to update this page as we learn more and as new technology becomes available. We hope you enjoy your ASSH eBook!