The American Foundation for Surgery of the Hand partners with Health Volunteers Overseas (HVO) to fund the AFSH-HVO Young Surgeon Overseas Program.
- R3, R4, R5
- Surgeons within 3 years of completing their fellowship
- Must not have been in practice for more than 5 years
- Open to those in the United States and Canada
Please note: Residents and Fellows applying for this fellowship will be paired with a lead, established surgeon.
- One Page letter highlighting previous experience and motivation for seeking fellowship
- Current CV
- Letter of support from the director of residency program, director of fellowship program, or, if you are a young surgeon, a letter of support from the chief of surgery at the hospital where you conduct most of your surgeries. This letter should address the applicant's suitability for the traveling fellowship (ability to teach, adapt and be flexible) and the applicant's ability to have a minimum of 4 weeks available to participate.
Applications should be addressed to Nancy Kelly and sent to email@example.com. Please include a reference to "AFSH-HVO Fellowship" in the subject line. All documents should be submitted in MS Word or PDF format.
Participants are exposed to a wide range of surgical pathologies not commonly seen in the United States. Surgeons in this program learn to communicate more effectively with people from different cultures and are exposed to the realities and constraints of delivering health care in a resource-scarce environment. The participants are challenged to be flexible, to adapt to different circumstances and to hone their decision making skills.
Program participants apply and transfer their knowledge in a developing country, which has an entirely different social and cultural milieu. Their overseas assignments afford the surgeons a chance to utilize their expertise in the field by improving the quality of hand surgery in their country of assignment.
Electronic Submission is required. Application deadline is April 1 annually. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.