Are You Our Next Visiting Professor?
February 17, 2014
The American Society for Surgery of the Hand is committed to enhancing hand surgery education throughout the world. The International Relations Committee is especially interested in enhancing surgical education and practice in the developing world as well as strengthening those relationships between the United States and international hand surgeons. To help us reach our educational goals, the ASSH has developed a program for visiting professors from the United States or Canada to travel to countries that are most in need of hand surgery education. These specially selected professors will participate in a hand surgery education mission in a host country. The ASSH will work with the eligible countries to make the best match between selected Visiting Professors and Host Countries.
The ASSH Visiting Professor Program is designed to support (2) Visiting Professors a year, who will each complete two trips. Visiting professors will participate in teaching, consulting, patient evaluations, and even perform surgeries, provided the host country regulations allow it. Professors should plan on a minimum of seven working days, exclusive of travel time, in the host country for each trip.
The host country will pay for accommodation, meals and local transportation. The Hand Society will help provide the match between the visiting professor and the country, as well as cover the expense of coach airfare to and from the host country.
||Papua New Guinea
To qualify, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Active membership in the American Society for Surgery of the Hand.
- Participation in (2) Visiting Professor missions (minimum of 1 week/each), to be completed by August 1, 2014.
- Experienced in teaching both clinical and didactic.
- Agrees to provide a written report at the end of the trip, summarizing the clinical and educational activities, including achieved objectives, difficulties encountered, challenges met, lessons learned and recommendations for future trips. Report must be submitted no later than August 15, 2014.
- Agrees to give a presentation to the International Relations Committee at the 2014 ASSH Annual Meeting in Boston, MA (September 18-20, 2014).
Preference will be given to applicants that have served in similar mission work in the past, and have an established relationship or connection with surgeons in the country of choice.
To apply, please complete the online application:
Information collected includes:
- Name and Contact Information
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Brief essay on interest and preferred country/countries for Professorship Visit(s)
- Description of personal connection with hand, orthopedic, plastic surgeons or the International Hand Society in country/countries of choice
- Availability/preference for time of travel to complete (2) missions/trips over March - August 2014
- Brief outline describing the proposed educational activities in the host country
The International Relations Committee will review all applicants and will make their final decisions in February 2014.
For questions about the Visiting Professor Program or your application, please contact the ASSH at (312) 880-1900 or email Danielle Roesmann at email@example.com.