Any individual who meets the following qualifications is eligible to apply for Candidate Membership:
- Shall be within three (3) years of completing an ACGME or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (“RCPSC”) accredited residency in orthopaedic, plastic or general surgery or an AOA (American Osteopathic Association) accredited osteopathic orthopaedic surgery residency; shall be engaged in an ACGME-accredited or RCPSC-accredited fellowship in hand surgery; or shall be within five (5) years of having completed an ACGME-accredited or RCPSC-accredited fellowship in hand surgery;
- At the time of application residents and/or fellows who are not fully licensed to practice medicine in a state, territory, or province of competent jurisdiction, shall obtain and maintain institutional licensure as long as they are engaged in formal training. Once they complete residency and/or fellowship, Candidate Members must be fully licensed in a state, territory, or province of competent jurisdiction.
- Shall reside in the United States or Canada;
- Shall be of high moral, ethical, and professional standing;
- Shall have a sponsor letter from the chair of the residency program or fellowship training program or ASSH Active member (elected 2010 or earlier);
- Shall agree that the Candidate Membership is limited to a maximum period of five (5) years after completion of fellowship, and at a date on or before that five-year period, shall make efforts towards application for Active Membership in the American Society for Surgery of the Hand;
- Shall acknowledge that conferral of Candidate Membership does not imply that the Candidate Member will be qualified or admitted as an Active Member.