Applications for the 2015 Young Leaders Program are now closed. Applications for the 2016 program will be available in Summer 2016.
The ASSH Young Leaders Program gives enthusiastic and dedicated young members the chance to increase their involvement in the Hand Society. This leadership development program is for Candidate (dues paying and post-fellowship) or Active members of less than eight years.
Members selected for this program will first participate in an active, ongoing discussion to identify key issues within the upper extremity profession. They will present their research and findings to Council during the winter meeting. The Young Leaders will also attend a training session on medical society governance. The program requires a commitment to participate in future ASSH governance activities by lending support to a committee or task force at the close of the meeting. It is an excellent opportunity for young members to observe and learn about our society's leadership.
How to Apply
Before applying, please ensure that you are:
- Either an ASSH Candidate Member (dues paying and post-fellowship) OR an ASSH Active Member (fewer than 8 years of membership).
- Able to attend the ASSH Council meeting and Young Leaders Workshop on December 10-12, 2015 in Chicago.
- Willing to take responsibility for airfare and transportation costs during the Workshop (meals, lodging, and all other meeting expense are paid for by ASSH).
- Willing to serve on ASSH committees or task forces as assigned.
- Complete your online application.
- Submit your CV.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from your Hand Fellowship Director and/or an ASSH member who has served as your mentor.
2015 Program Details
- Applications available: June 17, 2015
- Application deadline: July 31, 2015
- Notifications sent: August 17, 2015
- Group work begins: September 2015
- Group webinar: November TBD
- Program in Chicago: December 10-12, 2015
The 2015 Young Leaders Program will begin in September with initial topic discussions. Chosen participants will attend a webinar in November and are required to attend the training session and Chicago Council meeting from December 10-12. *Airfare and ground transportation costs are the responsibility of the Young Leaders. ASSH will provide housing, meals, and any other meeting expenses.
Every fourth year, the ASSH Young Leaders Program will be replaced by the ASSH Mid-Career Leaders Program, an identical program for more seasoned ASSH members (8 years of membership or more). The next Mid-Career Leaders Program will take place in 2017. For more information, visit the Mid-Career Leaders webpage.
Contact ASSH Governance Coordinator Haley Licata at firstname.lastname@example.org.